PROPOSED BYLAW AMENDMENT (September 18th, 2017)
Per Section 6.06 (C) : “A notice and a copy of the proposed amendment(s), clearly stating the article(s) and section(s) to be amended, shall be sent to all groups registered with the Intergroup at least sixty (60) days prior to the meeting at which a vote on the proposed amendment(s) to the bylaws is scheduled. This notice shall include the date, time and place of that meeting.”
This amendment will be voted on at the December Intergroup Representatives Meeting
Date: Thursday, December 14th, 2017
Time: 6:30 pm
Location: Al Sigl Gym (across the parking lot from Central Office in main Al Sigl Building, 2nd Floor)
Section 5.07 – Education and Participation Committee
- The purpose of this committee is to foster and encourage group participation in the Rochester Area Intergroup, Inc. and to provide training to facilitate participation.
- The Education and Participation Committee shall consist of not less than three members of A.A.
- Officers shall be elected internally and shall meet such sobriety requirements as the committee (and/or §5.03-B of these bylaws) may specify. The chairperson shall be elected by the committee for a term of two (2) years.
- The duties and responsibilities of the Education and Participation Committee are:
- To foster participation and membership in the Intergroup.
- To welcome new members of the Voting Body of the Intergroup (§2.10), and to provide them with information regarding the structure and operations of the Intergroup.
- To establish and conduct educational and informational sessions for group secretaries and treasurers, Intergroup Representatives, and others as appropriate.
PROPOSED CHANGES TO BYLAW:
- The Education and Participation Committee shall strive to consist of not less than 3 members of AA.
- Officers shall be elected by Education and Participation members by a vote and shall meet such sobriety requirements as the committee (and/or §5.03-B of these bylaws) may specify. It is suggested that the chairperson have two (2) years sober. The chairperson shall be elected by the committee for a term of two (2) years or serve for one (1) year as co-chair and one (1) year as chair.
D1. To foster participation and membership in the Intergroup. This includes visits by Education and Participation committee members to groups without an Intergroup representative. Lists of groups to visit is maintained by the Board of Trustee’s secretary, along with information from the Registrar at the Intergroup meeting. The Board of Trustees will also visit groups.
D2. To welcome new members of the Voting Body of the Intergroup (§2.10), and to provide them with information regarding the structure and operations of the Intergroup via a monthly orientation, typically held before or after the monthly Intergroup meeting.
D3. To establish and conduct educational and informational workshops for AA members.
D4. To maintain and develop pamphlets specific to the needs of the Rochester Area Intergroup. Pamphlets will be approved by the Intergroup Body.
D5. To coordinate the collection and updating of flyers for Committee of the Month.
ROCHESTER AA’s HISTORY IS ALL ABOUT YOU AND YOUR HOME GROUP !!
Rochester Area Intergroup Archives Committee seeks donations from you and your home group
PLEASE! Don’t discard those old:
- member lists
- group conscience, meeting statistics, finances or other records
- anniversary or other event flyers
- gavels, signs, or photographs of your meeting place
These items are the historical record of your group and will be extremely valuable in years to come!
The Archives is also seeking:
- member’s obituaries – please include any information you have about the member, such as home group, sobriety date, any favorite sayings
- scrapbooks or photograph albums related to AA events
- Big Books or other AA-related materials
- newspaper clippings related to AA in the Rochester area
Please consider donating to the Rochester Area Intergroup Archives. Materials can be brought to the Rochester Area Intergroup, 1000 Elmwood Ave, Greenhouse, or call the Archivist at 585-232-6720.
To: ALL GROUP SECRETARIES AND ALL INTERGROUP REPRESENTATIVES
FROM: NOMINATING & ELECTIONS COMMITTEE, ROCHESTER AREA INTERGROUP
SUBJECT: ELECTION OF STEERING BOARD OF TRUSTEES CANDIDATES
The Nominating & Elections Committee has received nominations for the positions on the Steering Board of Trustees whose terms expire on June 30th, 2017.
THE SLATE OF CANDIDATES & THEIR HOME GROUPS APPEAR AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE.
The slate of candidates consists of those persons who were nominated, who meet the requirements of the Intergroup’s By-Laws, and who have agreed to serve in those positions.
Elections will take place at the next meeting of the Intergroup Representatives to be held on
May 11th, 2017, 6:30 PM
In the Al Sigl gym: same parking lot as Central Office.
Enter door #11 of Al Sigl, take elevator to 2nd floor, turn left, left again and gym is on left)
Each candidate has been asked to make a brief presentation at this meeting regarding the skills, experience and other qualities they would bring to the Board, if elected.
Please have your Intergroup Representative or your Alternate Intergroup Representative attend this meeting and vote on behalf of your home group. Each Rochester Area Group is entitled to cast one vote in the election of Trustees to the Board.
Candidates are listed in alphabetical order by last initial
Amy K – Easy Does It Sunday
Michele M – Ladies Night Out
Walt M – Primary Purpose
Bill D – Spencerport
Chris M – Love and Service
Maria E – FHA
Karl H – Primary Purpose
John W – Eastside Men’s
Dave K – Steps for Life
Victoria L – Serenity Hill
Kathy S – Lehigh
|Personnel Committee (odd year)
Maggie F – Culver Ridge
Marcia G – Webster Wednesday
Please see below for excerpts from the Rochester Area Intergroup By-Laws regarding the qualifications for, and information about, each position and general election information.
The By-laws are available on our website: www.rochester-ny-aa.org in the “Members Section”
Section 3.03 – Qualifications of Trustees
- All Trustees shall have their nominations accepted by and be elected by a majority of the Voting Body of the Intergroup (§2.10).
- Each Trustee, prior to election to the Board, shall have a minimum of five (5) years of continuous sobriety.
- Each Trustee shall have demonstrated, to the satisfaction of the Nominating Committee, the basic qualities of honesty, integrity, justice, and good judgment, and have knowledge of the Twelve Traditions and Twelve Concepts of Alcoholics Anonymous.
- Each Trustee should be committed to upholding the purposes and general policies of the Intergroup.
- Each Trustee should have the willingness and ability to devote necessary time to Board activities.
- Each Trustee should be able to apply experience and expertise to Board decisions objectively and realistically.
Section 3.04 – Election and Terms of Trustees
- The Trustees of the Intergroup shall be elected at the May meeting of the Intergroup. Should no nominees stand for a particular position on the board, that vacancy should be filled as described in §3.07
- All terms will begin on July 1st and will be for two years. (…)
- The following Trustees shall be elected to terms that begin in odd numbered years:
- The Vice Chairperson
- The Treasurer
- The City Trustee
- The Northwest Trustee
- The Southeast Trustee
- In the spirit of service rotation, Trustees may be re-elected to one successive term on the Steering Board of Trustees. After an absence from the Steering Board of Trustees, a previous Trustee may be nominated again for a position on the Board for a term beginning no less than five years after completing their previous Board position.
- No member of the Steering Board of Trustees shall simultaneously serve as an Intergroup Representative or alternate Intergroup Representative for any group holding membership in the Intergroup. Neither shall they simultaneously serve as a Standing Committee chair or co-chair. A newly elected Trustee who serves in one of these other capacities should be immediately replaced.
Section 4.03 – Vice Chairperson of the Intergroup
The Vice Chairperson shall, in the absence of the Chairperson, or during the incapacity of the Chairperson as determined by the Board, perform all duties of and assume all responsibilities of the Chairperson until such authority is revoked by the Board. The Vice Chairperson shall perform such other duties as usually pertain to the office, or as are properly required of the Vice Chairperson by the Steering Board of Trustees.
Section 4.05 – Treasurer of the Intergroup
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for the care and custody of all moneys, securities and assets of the Intergroup and shall report on these matters to the Intergroup on a monthly basis.
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for keeping full and accurate accounts of all moneys received by the Intergroup and paid by the Intergroup and shall report on these matters to the Intergroup on a monthly basis.
- The Treasurer should have an understanding of generally accepted accounting principles.
- The Treasurer shall make and sign such reports, statements and instruments as may be required of the Treasurer by the Steering Board of Trustees or by the laws of the United States or by the laws of the State of New York.
- The Treasurer shall perform such other duties as usually pertain to the office or as are properly required by the Steering Board of Trustees.
Section 5.09 – Personnel Committee
- The Personnel Committee shall have the operating responsibility, authority and accountability for administrating personnel policy in accordance with these bylaws and the policies described in the Intergroup’s “Personnel Policy and Procedures”.
- The Personnel Committee is composed of the following five (5) members:
- The immediate past Chairperson of the Intergroup. In the event that the immediate past Chairperson did not, for any reason, complete their term of office or is not available to serve, membership in the Personnel Committee shall pass back to the most recent past Chairperson who did successfully complete their term of office and is available to serve.
- The Vice Chairperson of the Intergroup.
- Two members of A.A. elected by the Voting Body of the Intergroup (§2.10); one member elected in the even numbered years and one elected in the odd numbered years, each serving a term of two years.
- One A.A. member professionally qualified in personnel work appointed (in odd years) by the Steering Board of Trustees to a term of two years.
- The terms of all members of the committee shall begin on July 1st.
- Generally, the Personnel Committee shall have the following responsibilities (where detailed responsibilities are defined as in §5.09-A):
- Soliciting resumes, interviewing and recommending candidates for open staff employee positions.
- Making staff employee compensation and benefits recommendations to the Board.
- On-going evaluation of employee job performance.
- Administering personnel policy and procedures.
ANNOUNCED A PRICE INCREASE ON BOOKS & OTHER CONTENT RELATED ITEMS
EFFECTIVE MARCH 1ST, 2017
AA Grapevine, the international monthly journal of Alcoholics Anonymous, will add a $0.50 increase to all books & most other content related items
The new prices will go into effect at the Rochester Area Intergroup Central Office on Monday, March 6th, 2017
PLEASE NOTE: AS OF MONDAY FEBRUARY 27TH
Dewey-Avis, Oasis & Accion WILL BE BACK AT Redeemer Lutheran, 1549 Dewey Avenue.
- Dewey-Avis (Mon-Fri, 12 PM)
- Oasis (Sat 12 PM)
- Accion (Spanish Speaking, Sat 6 PM)