To: ALL GROUP SECRETARIES AND ALL INTERGROUP REPRESENTATIVES
FROM: NOMINATING & ELECTIONS COMMITTEE, ROCHESTER AREA INTERGROUP
SUBJECT: ELECTION OF STEERING BOARD OF TRUSTEES CANDIDATES
The Nominating & Elections Committee has received nominations for the positions on the Steering Board of Trustees whose terms expire on June 30th, 2017.
THE SLATE OF CANDIDATES & THEIR HOME GROUPS APPEAR AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE.
The slate of candidates consists of those persons who were nominated, who meet the requirements of the Intergroup’s By-Laws, and who have agreed to serve in those positions.
Elections will take place at the next meeting of the Intergroup Representatives to be held on
May 11th, 2017, 6:30 PM
In the Al Sigl gym: same parking lot as Central Office.
Enter door #11 of Al Sigl, take elevator to 2nd floor, turn left, left again and gym is on left)
Each candidate has been asked to make a brief presentation at this meeting regarding the skills, experience and other qualities they would bring to the Board, if elected.
Please have your Intergroup Representative or your Alternate Intergroup Representative attend this meeting and vote on behalf of your home group. Each Rochester Area Group is entitled to cast one vote in the election of Trustees to the Board.
Candidates are listed in alphabetical order by last initial
Amy K – Easy Does It Sunday
Michele M – Ladies Night Out
Walt M – Primary Purpose
Bill D – Spencerport
Chris M – Love and Service
Maria E – FHA
Karl H – Primary Purpose
John W – Eastside Men’s
Dave K – Steps for Life
Victoria L – Serenity Hill
Kathy S – Lehigh
|Personnel Committee (odd year)
Maggie F – Culver Ridge
Marcia G – Webster Wednesday
Please see below for excerpts from the Rochester Area Intergroup By-Laws regarding the qualifications for, and information about, each position and general election information.
The By-laws are available on our website: www.rochester-ny-aa.org in the “Members Section”
Section 3.03 – Qualifications of Trustees
- All Trustees shall have their nominations accepted by and be elected by a majority of the Voting Body of the Intergroup (§2.10).
- Each Trustee, prior to election to the Board, shall have a minimum of five (5) years of continuous sobriety.
- Each Trustee shall have demonstrated, to the satisfaction of the Nominating Committee, the basic qualities of honesty, integrity, justice, and good judgment, and have knowledge of the Twelve Traditions and Twelve Concepts of Alcoholics Anonymous.
- Each Trustee should be committed to upholding the purposes and general policies of the Intergroup.
- Each Trustee should have the willingness and ability to devote necessary time to Board activities.
- Each Trustee should be able to apply experience and expertise to Board decisions objectively and realistically.
Section 3.04 – Election and Terms of Trustees
- The Trustees of the Intergroup shall be elected at the May meeting of the Intergroup. Should no nominees stand for a particular position on the board, that vacancy should be filled as described in §3.07
- All terms will begin on July 1st and will be for two years. (…)
- The following Trustees shall be elected to terms that begin in odd numbered years:
- The Vice Chairperson
- The Treasurer
- The City Trustee
- The Northwest Trustee
- The Southeast Trustee
- In the spirit of service rotation, Trustees may be re-elected to one successive term on the Steering Board of Trustees. After an absence from the Steering Board of Trustees, a previous Trustee may be nominated again for a position on the Board for a term beginning no less than five years after completing their previous Board position.
- No member of the Steering Board of Trustees shall simultaneously serve as an Intergroup Representative or alternate Intergroup Representative for any group holding membership in the Intergroup. Neither shall they simultaneously serve as a Standing Committee chair or co-chair. A newly elected Trustee who serves in one of these other capacities should be immediately replaced.
Section 4.03 – Vice Chairperson of the Intergroup
The Vice Chairperson shall, in the absence of the Chairperson, or during the incapacity of the Chairperson as determined by the Board, perform all duties of and assume all responsibilities of the Chairperson until such authority is revoked by the Board. The Vice Chairperson shall perform such other duties as usually pertain to the office, or as are properly required of the Vice Chairperson by the Steering Board of Trustees.
Section 4.05 – Treasurer of the Intergroup
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for the care and custody of all moneys, securities and assets of the Intergroup and shall report on these matters to the Intergroup on a monthly basis.
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for keeping full and accurate accounts of all moneys received by the Intergroup and paid by the Intergroup and shall report on these matters to the Intergroup on a monthly basis.
- The Treasurer should have an understanding of generally accepted accounting principles.
- The Treasurer shall make and sign such reports, statements and instruments as may be required of the Treasurer by the Steering Board of Trustees or by the laws of the United States or by the laws of the State of New York.
- The Treasurer shall perform such other duties as usually pertain to the office or as are properly required by the Steering Board of Trustees.
Section 5.09 – Personnel Committee
- The Personnel Committee shall have the operating responsibility, authority and accountability for administrating personnel policy in accordance with these bylaws and the policies described in the Intergroup’s “Personnel Policy and Procedures”.
- The Personnel Committee is composed of the following five (5) members:
- The immediate past Chairperson of the Intergroup. In the event that the immediate past Chairperson did not, for any reason, complete their term of office or is not available to serve, membership in the Personnel Committee shall pass back to the most recent past Chairperson who did successfully complete their term of office and is available to serve.
- The Vice Chairperson of the Intergroup.
- Two members of A.A. elected by the Voting Body of the Intergroup (§2.10); one member elected in the even numbered years and one elected in the odd numbered years, each serving a term of two years.
- One A.A. member professionally qualified in personnel work appointed (in odd years) by the Steering Board of Trustees to a term of two years.
- The terms of all members of the committee shall begin on July 1st.
- Generally, the Personnel Committee shall have the following responsibilities (where detailed responsibilities are defined as in §5.09-A):
- Soliciting resumes, interviewing and recommending candidates for open staff employee positions.
- Making staff employee compensation and benefits recommendations to the Board.
- On-going evaluation of employee job performance.
- Administering personnel policy and procedures.